Why I love Simpsons Games

The Simpsons Tapped Out manages to maintain the personalities of all the characters of the series
Okay, so they aren't pushing any envelopes when it comes to game development, but there is a certain air of quality that games under the Simpsons franchise seem to have.  Their main formula seems to be cloning whatever is most popular at the time, but placing the Simpsons world and familiar array of characters into those formats.

Today I downloaded the new iOS game The Simpsons Tapped Out and instantly began giggling like a 13 year old watching the show.  

Or maybe a 30 year old watching the show.  It makes no difference.

After the hilarious intro cutscene we're brought to a post-nuclear explosion Springfield where Homer is alone and not so ready to take the owe up to his mistakes.  He repeatedly breaks the fourth wall, acknowledging that this is a town building sim game and even pokes fun at the "freemium" business model.  The way he denounces the fact that he doesn't want to spend real money for a game is so brutally honest that it kept me playing more...mostly for the hilarious banter that he and the other characters begin.  I quickly realize the danger of this because the game's premium currency - the iconic pink glazed donuts - can be bought with real money; the most expensive denomination being worth an absurd $99.99!  Ahaha, a true comedy game, through and through.

I suppose you've judged me for playing these kinds of games.  First, stop that.  Second, I've never hopped on those time-sync Farmville-esque Facebook games before.  I know they're wastes of time and time is something I can't afford at the moment.  Regardless, I decided to give it a go because of the franchise. 

Though I haven't seen any of the recent episodes, I've always enjoyed playing the Simpsons games.  Of course, the outlandish Konami arcade game was, in itself, a legendary tenant during the decline of the arcade era, however, I'm talking mostly about the EA developed/published "franchise clone" games.  For example, during the height of Crazy Taxi's popularity, Simpsons Road Rage came out.  SRR managed to keep me interested far longer than Taxi because of the unique character interactions.  That's what's key here: humor.  

The people behind the Simpsons recognize their fans as a fiercely loyal bunch.  There is little need for a unique game experience when they can take a proven game model and build the Springfield on top of it.  It's good for them because they make all that money that they care so much about.  For me, too, it's a pleasant experience because I treat it as an extension of the show.  Each game is like an interactive episode to me and I'm thankful that the Simpsons writers and voice actors take part in these games: 1) because of the quality and 2) I think they deserve the extra work for what they do.


Whether you thought this was Worst. Article. Ever. or you exclaimed "GLAVEN," I'd like to hear your opinion on the subject.

Woo-hoo.

No Response to "Why I love Simpsons Games"

Post a Comment