McDonald's + Monster Hunter

At 100 yen per soda, McDonald's is the most inexpensive way to lurk around hoping to meet other players
It's January 2011.  I'm sitting in a solo partition underneath an unnecessarily hot light, my bald pate glistening.  In the air is an uncensored Akon song with lewd lyrics slipping through patrons' ears under the armor of being lost in translation."  Suddenly, a hunt begins.

I had just purchased Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and, with no one to play with, set my designs upon a popular "Macudo" ("McDonald's" in Osaka dialect) in hopes of joining in on a game.  To my delight, when I started up the game I noticed there were two other players in the vicinity.  Wordlessly, I joined their hot spring - the games main meeting place for WiFi play - and followed them off on a quest.  I died three times, forcing us to forfeit the mission.  Sorry, guys, wherever you are.

Find passionate gamers for the price of a small coke.


Granted, this is a high-traffic 24-hour McDonald's in the heart of Osaka's "party" district.  However, similar sights can be found across Japan, even in the hearts of rural communities.  As long as you buy something on the menu, you can be given (almost) indefinite access to a seat and exposure to similar cheapskate WiFi gamers.  McDonald's further beckons handheld gamers with a joint venture with Nintendo: offering Internet connection to DS and 3DS users.

Many groups plan gaming meet ups called "off-kai."  These offline meetings, scheduled on forums and websites, usually involve an application and screening process.  When applying to a Monster Hunter Tri(G) group, I was grilled on my tenacity for the serious by what I found out to be a 12 year old.

Though there may be a rigorous process to get in with a group, it's a tacit understanding that anyone can join as long as they show up to the correct McDonald's.  One thing I noticed was it's a slight faux pas to engage in conversation with your allies at any time.  Perhaps it's a stereotype, but Japanese gamers of oftentimes timid and reluctant to speak to strangers, even if they're playing a game with them.  Despite this, I like engaging them, even if it's just a "Gold Ratholos is tough, eh?"

If you ever want to find players for handheld games in Japan, I fully recommend the economical option of Macudo.

No Response to "McDonald's + Monster Hunter"

Post a Comment